Released in 2015, the 10th version of Windows delighted users with a new interesting Continuum function, which for the audience is called the “Tablet Mode”. In this article we will tell you what kind of function it is, what it is convenient for and what computers it is used for, as well as how to Turn Tablet Mode On or Off.
What is Tablet Mode?
Windows 10 provided us with two display options: desktop and tablet. If everything is clear with the first one – this is the usual form of our familiar OS, then the second one should get to know each other better. The tablet mode significantly improves the usability of the Windows operating system on devices equipped with both touch input and a keyboard – the so-called “transformers”.
In general, when changing the configuration of a laptop-transformer, turning on and turning off the tablet mode is automatic. As soon as we disconnect the keyboard, the system understands that it is time to switch, we return the keyboard to its place – and Continuum disconnects. Very comfortable! But in some situations or for certain types of devices, you need to know how to do this procedure manually. For example, when you want to temporarily remove Continuum on tablets that are not equipped with a keyboard.
How to Turn Tablet Mode On?
- Go to Settings, select System.
- In the left column of the menu we find the name of the desired function, and in the field on the right – the switch. With it, you can both remove the tablet mode and turn it back on.
Here you can configure what will start when you log in: Continuum, a regular desktop, or what was used the last time before turning off the laptop.
The transition to Continuum can be carried out in the following ways: automatically, that is, without any user involvement, automatically, but with confirmation, only manually. You just note in the settings the way that is convenient for you.
- Open the Notification Center.
- Click on Tablet mode.
This method appeared later than the first, as many users complained that the manual transition was too long and inconvenient. The developers placed a button to go to the quick action panel of the Notification Center. To configure this quick method, go the following way:
- Notifications and actions
- Choose quick action
How to Turn Tablet Mode Off
To exit Continuum, you need to do the same steps as for connecting it: either go through the Notification Center, or through Settings. Everything is very simple – use this function with pleasure, removing it as necessary or returning it.
- The first thing we notice when changing desktop to Continuum is changing the Start menu . It automatically translates to full screen. The application buttons, as well as individual elements of the notification area, are no longer visible in the taskbar. Buttons are now separated by large empty fields, which means getting hit on them with a finger becomes easier. With all this, the Start menu remains the active desktop, and its interface is often compared to the iPad.
- Launched applications are deployed in full screen, but the window headers are so easy to not see – to view them you need to move the cursor to them.
- If you no longer need some kind of application, you just drag it down and release it – it closes.
- For the convenience of switching between applications, a “Back” button is located in the taskbar. For the same purpose, it is convenient to use the Task View.
If you want to use two applications at the same time, use the attach function. Its essence lies in the fact that you move the window of one of the applications to the right or left border of the display. It remains there, but in the meantime, you choose the second. Very convenient: in front of you are two windows, the size of which can be changed as necessary.
Now we know how to enable and disable Windows 10 tablet mode on a laptop or tablet, we know how to use it, and we know about its advantages.